Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Email not working?!

I love my new HTC phone, but one thing I did not count on was having my email account used to send spam to my whole address book. The first time my partner told me he just got a spam email from me with over 20 other recipients I thought it was weird, and didn't really look into it.

I love technology, but checking 50-100 emails a week is not the most exciting part of it. So being able to do it from my phone, was much more appealing. About a week after the first spam email, after another 3 or more, I realized that these emails were sent on the days that I was checking my email on my phone.

I was using the HTC email app so it had to be some other innocent looking download that was hijacking me email. Unfortunately, a lot of free games come with adverts which require internet access, so I couldn't figure out the culprit by looking for the ones with unnecessary permissions.

So I went through a deep clean process:
1. Closed any running apps (I used Advanced Task Killer Free)
2. Settings-> Applications-> Manage Applications
Here I checked each app and deleted the cache
3. Uninstall any apps I don't really recognize or use
4. connect my phone to my computer and have my anti virus scan it straight away.
5. a virus and malware scan on the computer, just in case.

Anti virus software used: Kaspersky
Malware software used: CCleaner (cleans registry), Spybot - Search & Destroy, Malwarebyte's AntiMalware,MalAware , SUPERAntiSpyware

The difficulty was in getting my email address to work again, as AOL had blocked it after all the spam activity. I could use the email online but not through a program. I kept getting a 554 error from the AOL servers.

After playing about with the email settings, what seemed to do it was changing the smtp & imap, doing a through clear of the cache & saved settings with CCleaner and logging onto my email through a browser. Next day, to my great surprise: a working email! And now I feel quite triumphant :)

Saturday, 11 September 2010

Shortening a maxi dress on a yoga mat

This summer's maxi dress trend is my idea of heaven. Being a sewing beginner I naively thought shortening it would be a simple matter of spreading it out and cutting in a line.

After trying to do this at 3AM just one hour before leaving for the airport, a series of on and off and cut proved pretty successful. It looked pretty straight when I had it on, so I figured any inconsistencies could be remedied with a simple hem that I could easily do on holiday.

Surprise surprise I never really found the time, especially as slight bikini alterations were necessary. So after getting home, on a lazy day, I thought of doing that hem while watching tv.

And that's when it became clear that the edge had frayed about 1/2 an inch and it was nowhere near straight. I tried putting it on a hanger but it being so very maxi meant it just gathered at the bottom.

Laying it out on the floor resulted in a big slippery mess even with pinning it to the self heal cutting mat.

And that is when I had the epiphany of using my yoga mat instead. It's much bigger and pins go in easily. Mine is quite thick, but I've seen thin ones in the pound shop. I think I shall get some to block my knit and crochet projects.

Now all I need is help with the crepe like thin skirt fabric...

Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.9